British single-seater biplane fighter - 1770 built.
B1807 - delivered to a Home Defence squadron, flew post war as G-EAVX. Currently being restored to airworthy condition at RNAS Yeovilton.
N5182 at RAF Museum Cosford is a rebuilt around substantial original components. The main component has a particular history. N5182 was allocated in September 1916 to No.1 Wing RNAS Squadron at Dunkirk. It flew many missions along the Belgian coast, its most notable was on 25 September 1916, when Flight Lieutenant Grange attacked a two-seater Sablatnig SF 2 seaplane of Seeflugstaffel 1. The next month, N5182 took off from Dunkirk heading for Amiens, but the engine died and a landing was made at Bertangles. Grange and N5182 were now part of No.8 (Naval) Squadron RNAS, as of this date, initially as part of a detached flight. In november the Pup was hit by enemy fire and the struts were damaged. Further combats that same day occured with a 2-seater Roland. It re-appears with No.8 (Naval) Squadron. After many combats, the Pup was flown to the UK to fly, in May 1917 anti-Zeppelin and anti-Gotha bomber patrols. Ca. 1959 substantial remains of the aircraft were discovered as part of the French Musée de l'Air's reserve collection, including fuselage and wings, with its 80 HP Le Rhone engine and remains of the propeller attached, with a brass plate on the engine marked `N5182'. The Pup was taken to England for a rebuilt. The completed aircraft is supposedly 60- 70% original, or at least contemporary, components. In 1973 it was accepted by the CAA as genuine only after they received a letter from Sir Thomas Sopwith to this effect.
N5195 - a largely original Pup, acquired in the 1960s after 40 years storage in Lincoln, was flown in 1985 and latterly on loan to the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop, registered as N5195/G-ABOX.
'9917' was converted in the '30's from a Sopwith Dove, now in flying condition as part of the Shuttleworth Collection Old Warden.